Search in SharePoint: it’s working at long last. //

Alright, so, I’m configuring Microsoft SharePoint here at work and I’ve managed to get everything working properly except for the search function. I tried a bunch of different things but everytime I tried to initiate a full or incremental crawl, I’d get an error in the crawl logs stating that SharePoint didn’t have permissions to crawl the default site. (The permissions were there, no doubt.

Anyway, for those of you in the same boat, I stumbled upon an article which details different reasons why SharePoint search might not be working. However, for me, it turned out that I needed to create a new DWORD value in the registry in order to disable the “loopback check.” I never would have figured that in a million years on my own but here it is in a seemingly-unrelated support document on Microsoft’s site. (It’s the 2nd “workaround” in that document and requires a restart of the server but I initiated a full crawl immediately afterwards and all was working as it should. No errors in the crawl logs.)

Here’s the steps should you choose not to click into that MS support doc:

Disable the loopback check

Follow these steps:

  1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
  2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
  3. Right-click Lsa, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  4. Type DisableLoopbackCheck, and then press ENTER.
  5. Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck, and then click Modify.
  6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  7. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll To Top